Edu-Futuro launched its bilingual Workforce Development Services (WDS) program in 2016 to meet the needs of underserved Latino and immigrant Northern Virginians who were seeking to leave low-wage service jobs and improve the economic well-being of their families. Since then, we have expanded our services to include vital digital skills training needed for the current job market. In large part due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Edu-Futuro’s current curriculum focuses on addressing the language and technical obstacles immigrant parents face in an increasingly virtual world.
Edu-Futuro’s WDS program includes Tech for Parents, an eight-week curriculum to help Latino and immigrant adults gain the ability and confidence to:
1) Digital literacy workshops
2) Resume and cover letter;
3) Search and apply for jobs online and in person;
4) Acquire the English-language skills to apply for and maintain employment; and
5) Financial workshops.
We are enhancing the WDS program with support for beneficiaries to earn their General Education Diploma (GED) as the equivalent of a high school diploma. We plan to launch this program in the Spring of 2023. More information to come.
Through a partnership with UnidosUS and Change Machine, Edu-Futuro offers general information and workshops on various financial topics to parents and students, and provides referrals to free one-on-one financial coaching in both Spanish and English. Coaches help clients address issues of financial insecurity and provide guidance on how to achieve goals.
Workshop topics include among others:
- Identifying financial goals
- Household budgeting and tracking expenses
- Paying for college
- Pulling and reviewing credit reports
Edu-Futuro invites you to join our 5 workshops addressing the following topics:
- Finances in Difficult Times: Protecting your Identity
Tech for Parents (T4P)
5 Sessions Virtual Program, in Spanish, to learn:
- Computer Basics
- How to access resources on the Internet
- Proficient use of the email
- How to communicate with the school
- How to monitor your child's attendance & class performance through ParentVUE
Do I need a laptop to attend the workshop?
You can attend the workshop from your cell phone, tablet, laptop, or personal computer.
How many sessions does the workshop have?
The workshop consists of a total of 5 sessions.
What is the workshop schedule?
It takes place every Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.
What is the workshop all about?
Tech for Parents focuses on basic computer knowledge, such as computer parts, basic concepts about the internet, online security, useful applications, Google Docs, Email, etc.
Do you deliver certificates at the end of the workshop?
Edu-Futuro will send a certificate of completion to those who attend classes.
Resume & Cover Letter (R&CL)
5 Sessions Virtual Program to learn:
- Cover Letter
- Where are job opportunities advertised?
- Interviews & References
General Education Development (GED) Program
What is the GED program?
The GED is a series of 4 subject tests comprised of Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Social Studies, and Science. Edu-Futuro's GED Program is going to be making a huge difference in the life of the families and the people that will take it, as those who pass these tests will be certified as having high school-level academic skills.
Why the GED Certificate is important?
We will give you 4 main reasons:
1. You can get accepted to college because is a high school equivalency diploma.
2. You will gain job market preparedness.
3. You can increase your salary earnings because some jobs require a high school diploma, and you will have it.
4. You can start a brand new path in the United States through this personal achievement.
What makes us different from other GED programs out there?
- Edu-Futuro's GED Program is a bilingual program that will be taught in English and Spanish.
- Our program will be aligned with the Virginia school system as we have partnered up with the APS and schools from Fairfax County, the City of Alexandria, and Prince William County.
- We will provide some scholarships to students so they won't have to pay for the exam.
- Light dinner and childcare service will be offered for those who need it (when the program is in person.)
- We are planning to implement technology to enhance the learning process, as well as apps so that the students can practice at home.
- Students will be required to take a placement test with the purpose of tailoring the contents of the program to their needs.
- Our GED Program will be flexible: We will have evening and weekend sessions, and mentorships from Monday through Friday at lunchtime, which is especially thought for those students who work so that they can get a chance to ask questions about the program material.
Who can take the program?
Edu-Futuro will elect students who are 18 years old or older and wish to obtain their high school equivalency diploma.
- You do not have to be a permanent resident of the U.S. but you have to live in Virginia.
- You cannot be enrolled in an accredited high school or be a high school graduate in the U.S.
- Students need to sign up for the program and commit themselves to completing it.
- There are limited spots available per cohort.
Students will be required to take a placement assessment to determine their readiness level.
4 levels of readiness
Pre-GED Basic Skills
GED Prep Level 1 (Beginner)
GED Prep Level 2 (Intermediate)
GED Prep Level 3 (Advanced)
MODULES (What you will learn)
GED Language Arts
- Reading Content Areas
- Language Content Areas
- Extended Response
- Basic Math
- Graphs and Functions
GED Social Studies
- Civics and Government topics
- U.S. History topics
- Economics topics
- Geography and the World topics
- Life Science topics
- Earth and Space Science topics
- Physical Science topics
When do I get the certificate?
Edu-Futuro will prepare you to take the exam to get your certificate. This is a one-year commitment to yourself. You will learn many things as going to high school. We encourage you to apply only if you're aware of this time and effort commitment. It's a magnificent opportunity to study for one year and get your high school equivalency diploma to restart your life in the United States.
You Can Be A Part Of Our Team
We are always looking to expand our team of volunteers. We search out dedicated people that want to make an impact in our community and the world.. If you are interested in volunteering, click the Volunteer Now button below.